8CoreWhore
Apr 20, 06:08 PM
good, useful :apple:
maflynn
Mar 28, 06:00 AM
You realize that putting all your money in one stock increases the risk of losing some of your investment.
With apple stock at an all time high, its hard to fathom that you could make a decent return on that. There are other investment instruments that may provide a better return on your money.
With apple stock at an all time high, its hard to fathom that you could make a decent return on that. There are other investment instruments that may provide a better return on your money.
Macky-Mac
Dec 5, 03:12 PM
I found that I noticed a difference on my old iMac 400 when I added a 512 RAM stick
mbl42
Dec 15, 11:33 PM
I'm also interested in some RAM if you decide to part it out. :)
more...

reh
Feb 16, 03:37 PM
Well SafariSpeed works great, but PithHelmet crashed Safari when I went to CNN.com. I noticed PithHelmet hasn't been updated since 10.3.8 came out, so maybe that's the problem. Thanks for the tips!
Use PithHelmet version 0.7.3. The latest versions don't work well. Always crashing, slowing down safari... ugh.
Use PithHelmet version 0.7.3. The latest versions don't work well. Always crashing, slowing down safari... ugh.

Chupa Chupa
May 6, 06:54 AM
The key question here is why kind of s/w will you need for your physics classes. If you are not doing anything too graphics intense then you can get by with integrated graphics.
If that is the case then I'd go w/ a low end 13" MBP. It's a 1lb lighter than the 15" and also the smaller footprint is going to make it easier on you when using a small classroom desk or workspace area.
I'd removed the hard drive -- put it in a separate ext. enclosure, and put in a 128GB SSD. They are fairly affordable now -- about $200-250. That will make the MBP a tad lighter, but more importantly, SSDs are more durable. Keep essential info on the SSD, and non-essential stuff (docs, etc. you don't usually need/want) on the ext. drive. Bump up the RAM to 8GB. RAM is cheap if you upgrade yourself.
Another option is to wait a month or two until Apple refreshes the MBAs to i3s -- though I think you'll do better with an i5 or i7 MPB. But 4.5 lbs can get to be a burden schelping around all day. Truly tough, personal choice.
Next question - do you have to spend the entire $2500? I'm asking b/c if not I'd put half of it in a 2 year CD (not that CDs are making a bunch of interest these days, but because you won't be tempted to spend it prematurely) and use it for a mid-college career upgrade.
As you advance in your major your hardware demands will probably increase. So your Jr. year would be the ideal time to sell the computer you bought freshman year and upgrade. Use the proceeds from the sale + the CD to buy the new machine. Using a 4 y.o. machine sr. year in a high science major will be miserable.
If that is the case then I'd go w/ a low end 13" MBP. It's a 1lb lighter than the 15" and also the smaller footprint is going to make it easier on you when using a small classroom desk or workspace area.
I'd removed the hard drive -- put it in a separate ext. enclosure, and put in a 128GB SSD. They are fairly affordable now -- about $200-250. That will make the MBP a tad lighter, but more importantly, SSDs are more durable. Keep essential info on the SSD, and non-essential stuff (docs, etc. you don't usually need/want) on the ext. drive. Bump up the RAM to 8GB. RAM is cheap if you upgrade yourself.
Another option is to wait a month or two until Apple refreshes the MBAs to i3s -- though I think you'll do better with an i5 or i7 MPB. But 4.5 lbs can get to be a burden schelping around all day. Truly tough, personal choice.
Next question - do you have to spend the entire $2500? I'm asking b/c if not I'd put half of it in a 2 year CD (not that CDs are making a bunch of interest these days, but because you won't be tempted to spend it prematurely) and use it for a mid-college career upgrade.
As you advance in your major your hardware demands will probably increase. So your Jr. year would be the ideal time to sell the computer you bought freshman year and upgrade. Use the proceeds from the sale + the CD to buy the new machine. Using a 4 y.o. machine sr. year in a high science major will be miserable.
more...
Big Shisha
Apr 13, 04:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't mind spending the $99 to get a developer license, I just didn't want to do it if I couldn't do what I needed to do.
We already have a website/twitter/facebook, I just wanted to cover all bases and an app seemed like the next step.
I don't mind spending the $99 to get a developer license, I just didn't want to do it if I couldn't do what I needed to do.
We already have a website/twitter/facebook, I just wanted to cover all bases and an app seemed like the next step.
Fabricman112
Mar 13, 12:45 PM
did u make any "add-ons" i.e OpenSSh, SBSettings ?
more...

Hellhammer
May 5, 08:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)
How do you make OSX point the home folder elsewhere?
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/05/14/tuaw-tip-moving-your-home-folder-to-another-disk-or-moving-it/
Very simple.
How do you make OSX point the home folder elsewhere?
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/05/14/tuaw-tip-moving-your-home-folder-to-another-disk-or-moving-it/
Very simple.
iJohnHenry
Feb 8, 07:04 PM
Now, can we teach wolves to bring down helicopters?
We can teach dolphins to sink ships, but they are both on/under water.
Teaching a wolf to fly might be the flaw in your proposal. :D
We can teach dolphins to sink ships, but they are both on/under water.
Teaching a wolf to fly might be the flaw in your proposal. :D
more...
johnfkitchen
May 5, 12:04 PM
This has been very helpful to me, thanks! My iMac will arrive in June, but I'm trying to get ready for fast-tracking the migration.
In my case, I plan to have most of my data files on the 2TB hard drive, but some data files on the SSD. For example, my Aperture library (which will reference most of the images) will likely benefit from the speed, so will be on the SSD.
So where should I be putting my Home Folder? And how will the home folder know about subfolders being on a different drive? Do I set up aliases? I have not used aliases, but I'm happy to do what it takes! :)
Thanks.
In my case, I plan to have most of my data files on the 2TB hard drive, but some data files on the SSD. For example, my Aperture library (which will reference most of the images) will likely benefit from the speed, so will be on the SSD.
So where should I be putting my Home Folder? And how will the home folder know about subfolders being on a different drive? Do I set up aliases? I have not used aliases, but I'm happy to do what it takes! :)
Thanks.
Toreador93
Dec 16, 11:10 PM
I'd just like give my impression of the SD300 to help Nesuser2.
I bought my SD300 this past summer, and it's been great. It's really a small camera, I can't say I've seen anything with as many features relative to its size and price. Pictures are great, and movies are very impressive with this camera (it can do 640x480 & 320x240@30fps & 15fps). However, you may need a high-speed card for multi-minute movies. My 1gb Sandisk Ultra II can take 8.5 minutes at highest quality. 320x240@15fps will give you 46 minutes of video. 1gb will give you about 500 highest quality pictures (4mp, Superfine res). 4mp and normal res will give you about 1700.
It's mostly metal (except for the card/battery door), and feels very solid. Quality is very good compared to similarly priced cameras.
You should really check out THIS REVIEW (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd300-review/) if you're at all interested.
I bought my SD300 this past summer, and it's been great. It's really a small camera, I can't say I've seen anything with as many features relative to its size and price. Pictures are great, and movies are very impressive with this camera (it can do 640x480 & 320x240@30fps & 15fps). However, you may need a high-speed card for multi-minute movies. My 1gb Sandisk Ultra II can take 8.5 minutes at highest quality. 320x240@15fps will give you 46 minutes of video. 1gb will give you about 500 highest quality pictures (4mp, Superfine res). 4mp and normal res will give you about 1700.
It's mostly metal (except for the card/battery door), and feels very solid. Quality is very good compared to similarly priced cameras.
You should really check out THIS REVIEW (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd300-review/) if you're at all interested.
more...
rdowns
Mar 15, 06:05 AM
If only others had thought of that. :rolleyes:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1106065&highlight=march+desktops
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1106065&highlight=march+desktops
joepunk
Dec 9, 11:08 AM
It seems that every winter the Graphic's Labs in the Art building are very cold, especially with G5's. And in the Summer the room is uncomfortably hot.
But that is nothing compared to the fact that the photography darkroom is right above the G5 lab and a few years ago there was a leak from the pips. So, some genius decided to use some pipes and just divert the flow to the outside. You can still see the pipes used. Also, there is a very high pitched, ear ringing, sound emitted from the giant machinery hanging from the ceiling. At times even headphones can't block the noise.
But that is nothing compared to the fact that the photography darkroom is right above the G5 lab and a few years ago there was a leak from the pips. So, some genius decided to use some pipes and just divert the flow to the outside. You can still see the pipes used. Also, there is a very high pitched, ear ringing, sound emitted from the giant machinery hanging from the ceiling. At times even headphones can't block the noise.
more...

jgo78
May 4, 06:43 PM
Just wondering!
i went to fairview mall today, they have the i7 but no 2gb video. I ordered one online.
i went to fairview mall today, they have the i7 but no 2gb video. I ordered one online.
maflynn
Mar 28, 06:00 AM
You realize that putting all your money in one stock increases the risk of losing some of your investment.
With apple stock at an all time high, its hard to fathom that you could make a decent return on that. There are other investment instruments that may provide a better return on your money.
With apple stock at an all time high, its hard to fathom that you could make a decent return on that. There are other investment instruments that may provide a better return on your money.
more...
neko girl
Feb 19, 07:26 PM
Please go see a doctor (:
Toppa G's
Feb 25, 08:59 AM
I wonder if you shouldn't modify the letter "a" so that it is more like "a" rather than "a". Otherwise, the style of the logotype almost makes it look like a sloppily written "u".

kretzy
Dec 19, 09:36 AM
I think this is the coolest animated 'tar I've seen. It's so detailed, funny and clever! Nice job! ;)
sparkleytone
Sep 12, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant
Why are they going to such pains to AltiVec-ize everything?
And why did they discontinue Logic for x86?
I can't understand why they wouldn't opt for that Power4 variant (if the recent rumor is to believed, which I don't think it is). It seems like the perfect chip for Apple.
definitely a good call.
it would be just plain stupid. looks like we are either stuck with moto or IBM is having alot of fun teasing us with their new proc.
Why are they going to such pains to AltiVec-ize everything?
And why did they discontinue Logic for x86?
I can't understand why they wouldn't opt for that Power4 variant (if the recent rumor is to believed, which I don't think it is). It seems like the perfect chip for Apple.
definitely a good call.
it would be just plain stupid. looks like we are either stuck with moto or IBM is having alot of fun teasing us with their new proc.
saguakid
Mar 11, 10:29 AM
Did anybody Download this? I don't think is even compatible but let me know if it works any better with Lion
Never mind I tried to install but require 10.6
Never mind I tried to install but require 10.6
rdowns
Apr 21, 12:14 PM
Oooh, a YouTube tag.
4r7wHMg5Yjg
4r7wHMg5Yjg
Hellhammer
May 6, 03:15 PM
LCDs looks horrible when not ran at their native resolution. You will definitely want to run it at 2560x1600. If the text is too small, sit closer or make the fonts bigger.
H00513R
Apr 12, 08:30 AM
It sounds like you are regretting it already. But were you using them at all or were they in a closet somewhere? This might just be the same feeling when you give something away to Goodwill. If you haven't used it/thought of it in 6 months to a year, then get rid of it. If they were hanging up somewhere then maybe you should cancel your auction and bring those beauties home! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment